Part 2: Developing a Magic System for RPG

05-29-2012

OK so lots of information posted in the prior post.  This is going to be a real quick post about restrictions/prohibitations related to learning the different planes of magic and associated penalties.

I have been using the term PLANE Energy User going forward I am going to use the generic MAGE or MAGES to refer to these individuals.

A Mage will learn one primary Plane of Magic.  Once a Mage learns spells in his Primary Plane, and is of sufficent level, the Mage can attempt to learn spells in both of the adjacent Planes.  However, the Mage will suffer penalties when dealing in the adjacent Planes.  These penalties are summarized as follows:
 
50% Penalty
To Learn Spells
50% Penalty
To Successfully Cast the Spells
50% Penalty
Damage/Range/Time
100% Penalty
In Mana Energy Cost
Table 1: Penalties for spells in Secondary Planes
 
 
The 100% Penalty to Mana Energy Cost means that the cost is doubled.  (Add 100% to the base cost.)

Because of the flow of energies, Mages are prohibited from learning the Plane of Magic directly across from them.  Additionally, the two Planes immediately adjacent to the Plane directly across from theirs are also prohibited.  A Mage can attempt to learn spells in the Planes just outside of their secondary Planes (Mid-Line Planes or Tertiary Planes), however the penalties for doing so are heavy.


These penalties are as follows:
 
90% Penalty
To Learn Spells
75% Penalty
To Successfully Cast the Spells
50% Penalty
Damage/Range/Time
200% Penalty
In Mana Energy Cost
Table 2: Penalties for spells in Tertiary Planes
 
 
The 200% Penalty to Mana Energy Cost means that the cost to cast the spell is tripled.  Add 200% to the base cost.  If the cost is 10 Mana then for a spellcaster to cast a Tertiary Plane Spell the cost will be 10 Mana + (200%*10 Mana) = 10+20=30 Mana or 3x the Base cost.

Also the Penalties are the last adjustment applied to any calculations.  Therefore, if the chance to cast a spell is calculated at 80% before the adjustment, then the actual success chance will be 20% based on 80% - (75% of 80%) = 80% - 60% = 20%.

The following table listed the accepted and prohibited planes based on primary plane.
Primary Plane
Allowed Secondary
Allowed Tertiary
Prohibited Planes
Life
Shamanic
Bardic, Druidic
Illusion, Conjuring,
Sorcery, Necromanic, Summoning
L&T Mix
Druidic
Shamanic, Conjuring,
Bardic, Summoning
Illusion, Sorcery, Necromanic
Terrestrial
Conjuring
Druidic, Summoning
Shamanic, Necromanic
Bardic, Illusion, Sorcery
D&T Mix
Summoning
Conjuring, Necromanic
Druidic, Sorcery
Illusion, Bardic, Shamanic
Death
Necromanic
Summoning, Sorcery
Conjuring, Illusion
Bardic, Shamanic, Druidic
D&E Mix
Sorcery
Necromanic, Illusion
Summoning, Bardic
Shamanic, Druidic, Conjuring, Summoning, Bardic
Ethereal
Illusion
Sorcery, Bardic
Necromanic, Shamanic
Druidic, Conjuring, Summoning
L&E Mix
Bardic
Illusion, Shamanic
Sorcery, Druidic
Conjuring, Summoning, Necromanic
Table 3: Acceptable Secondary Planes and Prohibited Planes


The Mage will be strongest against Mages of the Plane directly opposite of them. Thus a Life Mage is strongest against a Mage from the Death Plane.  The Mage is weakest against Mages in his own Plane.   The Mages effectiveness against other Planes are based on the how close/far they are to each other.  Please refer back to my octagon picture in Part 1

To summarize this:
  • Primary Planes are Strongest against attackers/defenders using the plane directly across from them. (100% Spell Effectiveness)
  • Primary Planes are 80% effective against attackers/defenders using the planes adjacent to the plane directly across from them.
  • Primary Planes are 60% effective against attackers/defenders using the Planes that form the Mid-Line between their Plane and the Plane directly across from them.
  • Primary Planes are 40% effective against attackers/defenders using their own Secondary Planes.
  • Primary planes are 30% effective against attackers/defenders using their own Plane.

Please note that all success and Mana Energy costs stay the same (i.e. normal, 100%).   The above is applied to damage/effect after the spell has been succesfully case.  You will not round results but drop anything to the right of the decimal.  Thus 5.75 will be 5 and not 6. You are basically being penalized based on the type of Mage you are facing.
 
Example:  Carlos, a level 20 Life Mage, is facing Beauford, also a level 20 Life Mage.  Carlos attempts to cast his "Cause Wounds" spell.  He has just enough Mana to cast the spell and it is successful for his 6d12 worth of damage.  Carlos rolls 29 points of damage.  Since he is only 30% effective against other Life Mages thus he does 29*0.3=8.7 (drop everything to the right of  the decimal) 8 points of damage.  If Beauford had been a Death Mage then the full 29 points of damage would ahve been dealt.
 
Hope y'all are seeing how this system of magic is being put together and how it will on one hand be a much better magic system than other games but on the other hand as complex or simple as the referree wants it to be.
 
Till next time!

Add a Comment